Photos by STEPHANIE MUNOZ
by MELODY YU
- White cotton shirt
- Dye kit
- Rubber bands
- Two cups of water
- Plastic wrap
- Wash the shirt in warm water. After, wring the shirt and place it front side down.
- Using two fingers, pinch the center of the shirt and spin clockwise.
- Take the rubber bands and bind the shirt multiple times, which will create small triangular sections. Make sure the bands intersect in the center.
- Next, fill the dye bottlewith water until it reaches the fill line. Then, shake the dye bottle until all the powder is dissolved. Repeat the process for each dye.
5. Pour the dye onto each wedge of the shirt. Afterwards, flip the shirt and repeat on the back. Completely cover the shirt in plastic wrap. Let it sit for 6-8 hours.
- Once it is set, carefully remove the plastic wrap and the rubber bands. Then, run the shirt under cold water until the water is almost clear.
- Wash the shirt once more and dry. You now have a colorful tie-dye shirt.